(anyone wishing to book a free seat on the Friends bus from LUH to St. Luke’s Hospital in Dublin can do so by contacting 086 2668826 or by ringing Oncology Day Ward on 074 9188820/21)
Following a meeting of the Directors of the Friends of LUH, the Friends have decided to defer this year’s annual church gate collection across County Donegal due in mid-October. The decision was taken on account of the government restrictions in place in combating the Covid19 pandemic and to not expose our many collectors to any undue health risk.
The annual collection accounts for around €20,000 income which the Friends use to fund the dedicated bus that takes patients from Donegal to St. Luke’s Hospital in Dublin for radiotherapy treatment each week free of charge, to provide seed capital to fund new service developments in the hospital and to respond to smaller pleas for support within departments when public funding is not forthcoming.
Over the past twenty-eight years, the Friends of Letterkenny University Hospital have raised over €7million which has kick-started many new service developments in the hospital for the benefit of the people of Donegal. The focus of the Friends has always been:
- To provide seed capital for new service developments in the hospital prior to mainstreaming by the HSE.
- To help to position the hospital to be able to accept licencing for the provision of symptomatic and screening services by the National Cancer Control Programme.
- To negate the need for people from Donegal having to travel to outside centres for services by providing the services locally.
- To transport patients free of charge to national centre in Dublin for radiotherapy treatment
- To enhance the patient experience in LUH.
The Friends acknowledge that this past few months have been very challenging for charities, voluntary groups and sporting organisations that primarily rely on the goodwill and generosity of the general public for their funding. We plan to continue our work as best we can during the pandemic to support the hospital and enhance services of patients by the following methods:
- By accepting the continuing support of our corporate sponsors
- By unsolicited donations from people who had a positive experience in LUH
- By choosing the Friends as a worthy charity to donate to in lieu of flowers following the death of a loved one.
- By unsolicited donations from people who have pride in their local hospital.
- By donations from people who appreciate the role and endeavour of the Friends.
- By donating to the Friends collection boxes located at many retail outlets across Donegal.
If you wish to contribute to the work of the Friends of LUH, you can do so in the following ways:
- By leaving a contribution marked “Friends” to the reception desk at LUH
- By donating electronically from the comfort of your own home via iDonate.
- By logging on to our website www.thefriends.ie and following the iDonate on line tag.
- By direct debit in your bank. Details are as follows:
IBAN – IE86AIBK 937347 20125105
BIC – AIBIE2D
All of the money raised goes straight back into LUH. Help us to help Letterkenny University Hospital and the people who use their services.